Phoenix Sexual Orientation Discrimination Lawyer
Sexual orientation discrimination is not a new development in the business world. However, the protections in place for employees are relatively new thanks to the expansion of Title VII because of a recent Supreme Court ruling. What can you do if you feel you have been discriminated against because of your sexual orientation in Phoenix? The Foster Group can help ensure that you know your rights, and we will help fight to protect them. If our Phoenix sexual orientation discrimination attorneys can prove that you have suffered discrimination due to your sexual orientation at the hands of your employer, we will fight to get you the compensation that you deserve. Call us today. The first consultation is free.
What is Sexual Orientation Discrimination?
Sexual orientation discrimination is any discrimination that you suffer due to your sexual orientation. This can look like:
- Discrimination based on your sexual orientation
- Being overlooked for employment
- Being overlooked for a promotion
- Being fired due to your sexual orientation
- Any harassment based on your sexual orientation
- A superior repeatedly asking a same sex employee on a date
- Inappropriate jokes regarding your sexual orientation
- Any suggestive or aggressive behavior due to your sexual orientation
- Any unwanted contact or sexual conduct
If You’ve Been Victimized, What Can You Do?
As with all discrimination or harassment complaints, you should file an official complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). You have 180 days from the date that the discrimination or harassment took place to file this complaint. When you file, the EEOC will ask for any evidence that you must support your claim, and they will launch an investigation.
What Damages Can You Seek?
When you have been victimized because of your sexual orientation, you may be eligible for compensation. When dealing with cases such as these, you may not be seeking monetary damages. While that may be available as a possibility, you can also request damages such as:
- Having your unlawful termination overturned and be reinstated to your position with the same pay and benefits that you had prior to being fired
- Being given the job or position that you were overlooked for due to your sexual orientation
- Attorney and court costs associated with the discriminatory action taken against you
You may also be awarded back pay for the time that you missed while the case was ongoing, from the time of termination until you were reinstated. Punitive damages may be possible, even if you receive one of the above-mentioned compulsory actions.
Let The Foster Group Help You Now
If you’ve been the victim of discrimination based on your sexual orientation, contacting a skilled and passionate Phoenix sexual orientation discrimination attorney can help you prove your claim. The attorneys at The Foster Group have experience in employment law to help you. We are ready and willing to help you by fighting to prove your case to get the best outcome possible for you. Don’t wait because time is of the essence. Contact our office for your initial consultation and let us start building your case today.