Phoenix Pregnancy Discrimination Lawyer
Pregnancy can be one of the happiest times in your life. Is there anything you can do if your employer begins to discriminate against you? Do you have any rights? And, if you do, how can you protect those rights? The Foster Group has skilled Phoenix pregnancy discrimination attorneys who can help you protect your job, and even your ability to secure employment during your pregnancy and after. Contact us today if you are in the Phoenix area and let us see how we can help protect your and your rights.
The Pregnancy Discrimination Act
Under the Pregnancy Discrimination Act (Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964) your employment rights are protected during pregnancy, childbirth, and if you experience any related medical conditions. These protections are only applied to employers with 15 employees or more. This includes state, local, and federal government entities, employment agencies, and labor organizations. This federal law is very important as it helps women secure their right to work if they want or need to do so to help support their families.
What Rights Are Federally Protected by the Pregnancy Discrimination Act?
The rights protected under the Pregnancy Discrimination Act include:
- Hiring: A woman cannot be barred from employment due to pregnancy.
- Pregnancy/Maternity leave: If a woman is unable to complete their normal employment duties, their employer must treat them as they would another temporarily disabled employee. If the employer requires a doctor’s note, it must be provided. The employer must hold a woman’s position for them during their leave.
- Health insurance: Insurance provided by employers must cover all pregnancy-related health expenses. Expenses must be reimbursed just as other non-pregnancy-related health expenses.
- Fringe benefits: Benefits cannot only be offered only to married couples. If benefits are offered to employees on leave, they must also be offered for pregnancy-related leave.
- A woman’s right to file a grievance for pregnancy-related discrimination is also protected. Employers cannot retaliate against employees who file complaints for discrimination.
How Long Do You Have to File a Pregnancy Discrimination Complaint in Phoenix?
Arizona state law dictates that you have 180 calendar days from the date the discrimination took place to file a suit. Immediately contacting a skilled employment law attorney such as those with The Foster Group, can help you. We can determine if you were, in fact, discriminated against, and we can get started helping you to get the justice that you deserve.
Contact The Foster Group Today
When you have been discriminated against, you may feel like you are at a loss and don’t know how to make sense of your situation. The Foster Group is here to help you with both federal and state pregnancy discrimination claims in Phoenix. We understand the way these claims progress and we can help from step one.
Contact us today for your initial consultation and let us help you. We can explain the process and take over for you so that you can focus on your pregnancy and the happiness you should be feeling.