What happens if you do not receive your bonus?

Arizona employers are required to pay employees the salary they have earned. In some industries, employees earn commission and/or bonuses in addition to their normal wages. 

If you have worked hard to earn a bonus, commission or fringe benefits, and are not paid appropriately, you may be able to seek compensation from your employer. 

Identifying the issue

Before you sign an employment agreement, you want to make sure that the terms are clearly laid out in the contract. If a bonus was negotiated, it should be included in the agreement, along with the bonus structure, terms of the bonus, when and how the compensation will be paid. 

Discretionary bonuses can be difficult to collect, as employers are not required to pay them. These types of bonuses include agreements where the employer does not mention a specific amount and/or when the bonus will be paid but leaves those terms to a later date. 

Filing an unpaid wages claim

According to the Industrial Commission of Arizona, you can file an unpaid wages claim if you were not paid for vacation, mileage, bonuses and wages. In addition to the claim form, you must submit any documentation you have to support your claim, including employment contracts. Once your paperwork is filed, the Labor Department will notify your employer and investigate the case. 

If you have more than $5,000 in unpaid bonuses, you must contact the U.S. Department of Labor, Wage and Hour Division. Keep in mind that you have one year from the date of the discrepancy to file these claims.